Function keys (F1 to F12): Simple tips/options to use them optimally on your keyboard
Most of us use computers for several reasons and these have become one of the most integral parts of our daily life. It would be very strange to find an office without computers and other peripherals. Why so far? To find a home without a computer is strange too.
We have been using computers on a daily basis for diverse reasons and we also have few features on our computer keyboard that seldom of us know and use them to the best. I have few friends and colleagues who are unaware of the use of Function keys (F1 to F12) that are available along the keyboard on top and use their little mouse to perform few operations on the beloved computer at home and office.
After understanding that most of us do not use the function keys (F1 to F12) resourcefully and by using these functions keys (F1 to F12), one could increase the bandwidth of their knowledge on computer key board which we press and knock every day.
I have listed down the use of Function keys (F1 to F12) to the best of my knowledge and if you feel there are some more easy yet useful tips then do not wait to have it posted in the comment column.
F1 – Function Key
- Is used as the HELP key
- Is used to enter CMOS Setup
- Windows Key + F1 key would open the ‘Windows Help and Support’ pane
F2 – Function Key
- In windows commonly used to rename a highlighted icon or file
- Alt + Ctrl + F2 opens document Window in Microsoft Word
- Ctrl + F2 displays the print preview Window in Microsoft Word
- Is used to Enter CMOS Setup
F3 – Function Key
- Often opens a search feature for many programs including Microsoft Windows
- In MS-DOS or Windows command line F3 will repeat the last command
- Shift + F3 will change the text in Microsoft Word from Upper to Lower case or a capital letter at the beginning of every word.
F4 – Function Key
- Repeat the last action performed in Microsoft Applications (2000+)
- Alt + F4 will close the program currently active in Microsoft Windows
- Ctrl + F4 will close the open window within the current active window in Microsoft Windows
F5 – Function Key
- In all modern internet browsers pressing F5 will refresh or reload the page or document window
- Open the find, replace, and go to window in Microsoft word
- Starts a slideshow in Power Point
F6 – Function Key
- Move the cursor to the Address bar in internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox
- Ctrl+Shift+F6 opens to another open Microsoft Word document
F7 – Function Key
- Commonly used to spell check and grammar check a document in Microsoft programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook etc
- Shift + F7 runs a Thesaurus check on the word highlighted
- Turns on Caret browsing in Mozilla Firefox
F8 – Function Key
- Function key used to enter the Windows startup menu, commonly used to access Windows Safe Mode
F9 – Function Key
- Opens the Measurements toolbar in Quark 5.0
F10 – Function Key
- In Microsoft Windows activates the menu bar of an open application
- Shift + F10 act same as right clicking on a highlighted icon, file or internet link.
- Access the hidden recovery partition on HP and Sony computers
- Enter CMOS Setup
F11 – Function Key
- Full screen mode in all modern Internet browsers
- Ctrl + F11 as computer is starting to access the hidden recovery partition on many Dell computers
- Access the hidden recovery partition on eMachines, Gateway and Lenovo computers
F12 – Function Key
- Open the’ Save as’ window in Microsoft Word
- Shift + F12 save’s the Microsoft Word document
- Ctrl + Shift + F12 prints a document in Microsoft Word
- Preview a page in Microsoft Expression Web
- Open Firebug
Check out related posts below...
- Sending Mass Email, is incredibly simple – Atomic Email Sender
- Apple iPhone 5 – Tech spec
- Get the Most out of Google drive. Seven (7) tips to help you!
- Facebook Home update brings Flickr, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram to lock screen
- Why to use EXCEL application for work or personal data?
- Shortcut Keys to Navigate through Facebook
- FaceBook App: Angry Birds
- Online Translation Tools VS Translation Apps – An Online Tower of Babylon
- Spreadsheet applications, Excel 2007 and Excel 2003 – Let’s review it.
- Process of Link Removal to Avoid Google Penalties
He lives in Bangalore, India & works for a service industry.
He is an aspirant. He likes blogging, reading, photography & learning new stuffs.
Latest posts by John Anthony (see all)
- Foodie – Delicious Camera, An App designed for Food Photography - April 22, 2016
- Sending Mass Email, is incredibly simple – Atomic Email Sender - October 16, 2015
- How to Permanently Delete Facebook Account - November 3, 2014